What is Modified Comparative Negligence in Connecticut?

What is Modified Comparative Negligence in Connecticut?

Schedule Your Free Consultation

If you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. However, if you were partly at fault for the accident, you may wonder how this will affect your claim. Please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated Fairfield County, Connecticut personal injury lawyer from Casper & de Toledo to learn more about modified comparative negligence and how it may impact your case. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What Is Modified Comparative Negligence?

Modified comparative negligence is a legal doctrine that reduces the amount of compensation that a plaintiff can recover based on their percentage of fault for the accident. In other words, if you were partially responsible for causing the accident that injured you, your recovery will be reduced by your share of the blame.

For example, suppose you were involved in a car accident with another driver who ran a red light, but you were also speeding at the time of the collision. If a jury determines that you were 20% at fault and the other driver was 80% at fault, and your total damages were $100,000, you would only be able to recover $80,000 (80% of $100,000).

How Does Modified Comparative Negligence Work in Connecticut?

Connecticut follows a 51% rule for modified comparative negligence. This means that you can only recover compensation if your percentage of fault is 50% or less. If you are found to be more than 50% at fault, you will be barred from any recovery.

Why Is This Negligence Important?

Modified comparative negligence is important because it affects the outcome of your personal injury claim. If you are found to be partly at fault for your injuries, your compensation will be reduced accordingly. Therefore, it is crucial to have an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side who can help you prove the other party’s negligence and minimize your own.

Our legal team has decades of experience representing accident victims here in the state of Connecticut, and we are here to put that experience to work for you as well. We will work to gather and present evidence on your behalf to satisfy the burden of proof and maximize your recovery.

If you have any additional questions about how modified comparative negligence works in the state of Connecticut, or if you believe you have a valid personal injury claim, please don’t hesitate to contact Casper & de Toledo today. We are here to fight for you, every step of the way.