Can I Sue for Emotional Trauma After an Injury in Connecticut?

Can I Sue for Emotional Trauma After an Injury in Connecticut?

Schedule Your Free Consultation
upset person

When someone is injured in an accident, they often have to deal with physical injuries, financial hardship, and emotional trauma, all at once. Emotional trauma can present itself in a variety of ways, but in the context of a personal injury claim, it can be considered a form of damages, meaning a person can, potentially, include a claim for emotional distress in a personal injury claim. Read on and reach out to a dedicated Fairfield County, Connecticut personal injury lawyer from our legal team to learn more.

What are some examples of emotional trauma?

As you may know, there are several ways in which emotional trauma can manifest itself after a serious accident or injury. Some of the most common examples of emotional trauma can include anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other mental health issues. Those labels tend to overly simplify the classification of emotional injury because, within the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th Ed.-TR) or the DSM-5-TR™, there is a multitude of diagnostic classifications that can be used to describe various mental health conditions that may manifest as a result of personal injuries.

Understandably, when someone has endured emotional trauma after an accident of any kind, it can have a significant impact on their quality of life and can make it difficult for them to move past the traumatic event.

How do I prove emotional trauma in a personal injury claim?

Often, emotional trauma can be difficult to quantify in the context of a personal injury claim, as it is not as clearly visible as, say, a broken arm. However, there are ways to prove it. The most useful way to prove that a person has sustained real and long-term emotional distress is by seeking the help of a mental health professional, such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, neuropsychologist, advanced practice registered nurse (APRN), therapist, licensed clinical social worker, or counselor. Locating a qualified clinician is easier said than done because they are in short supply. Moreover, there are limits on the ability of certain professionals to prescribe medication. So it is often necessary to coordinate care with a licensed prescriber.

Qualified therapists can provide various interventions – some talk therapy as well as medication management to help alleviate the most problematic symptoms caused by the trauma. Following a course of care, a clinician should be capable of assigning a diagosis, prognosis, and forecasting the need for future care. All of that information is used by your attorney to substantiate your claim for compensation for your emotional trauma.

If you have been harmed in an auto accident, a slip and fall, or even as a result of medical malpractice, our firm is here to help ensure you get the compensation you need to move on with your life. Give us a call today or contact us online so we can get started working on your case.