Being in an accident is stressful, but when it involves an uninsured or underinsured motorist, it adds an extra layer of complexity. Please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated Stamford, Connecticut auto accident lawyer to learn more about UM insurance, how it works, and how Casper & de Toledo can help you fight for the compensation you deserve and need. Here are some of the questions you may have:
How does UM insurance work?
UM insurance, or Uninsured/Underinsured (UIM) Motorist insurance, is a crucial component of your own auto insurance policy in Connecticut. This coverage is designed to protect you in situations where the at-fault party either doesn’t have insurance (yes- that would be illegal) or lacks sufficient coverage to fully compensate you for your injuries and losses. UM insurance can cover various scenarios, such as:
- Uninsured Motorists: When you’re involved in an accident with a driver who has no auto insurance.
- Underinsured Motorists: In cases where the other driver’s insurance policy limits are insufficient to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
- Hit-and-Run Accidents: If you’re the victim of a hit-and-run or force-and-run accident, UM insurance can step in to provide coverage.
UM/UIM coverage is first party coverage, meaning that you will be making a claim against your own insurance company. And don’t worry – you’ve paid for this coverage, and your insurance company cannot raise your premiums because you’re using coverage in the absence of your own fault.
What should I do if I’m injured in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist?
If possible, after an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, you should take the following steps:
- Seek Medical Attention: Prioritize your health. Get medical treatment for your injuries, even if they initially seem minor. Some injuries may not manifest all symptoms immediately.
- Report the Accident: Contact the police to report the accident, especially in hit-and-run cases. A police report can be crucial for your insurance claim.
- Gather Information: Collect as much information as possible from the accident scene. This includes the other driver’s details, witness statements, and photographs of the accident.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Inform your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. They will guide you through the claims process, which may involve your UM insurance.
- Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer: Consider seeking legal representation from an experienced personal injury lawyer in Connecticut.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
Navigating the complexities of an uninsured or underinsured motorist accident can be daunting, but a skilled personal injury lawyer can provide invaluable assistance:
- Insurance Claim Assistance: Your attorney will work with your insurance company to ensure you receive fair compensation from your UM insurance policy.
- Investigation: Your attorney will investigate the accident thoroughly, gathering evidence to establish liability and the extent of your damages.
- Negotiation: Your attorney will negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company, seeking a fair settlement on your behalf and secure the documentation necessary to prove to your own insurance company that you have met the criteria for pursing your UIM claim.
- Litigation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer can file a lawsuit and represent you in court to pursue the compensation you deserve.
UM insurance functions as a critical safety net, especially when dealing with accidents involving uninsured or underinsured motorists. That said, the most important thing you can do when filing a UM insurance claim is to hire a competent attorney who can walk you through the process and fight to ensure you’re fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. Contact Casper & de Toledo today for a free initial consultation.